Thursday, May 03, 2007

Baldor 500 Grinder

Another trip we made during my week in Springfield, VT was a trip to Springfield Tools. They pick stuff up from machine auctions and resell on ebay and out of their warehouses. I picked an old (1953 I think?) Baldor grinder. It has a Diamond and a Silicon/Carbide wheel and everything is cast iron, including a nice solid cast iron pedestal. It ran, but the bearings were shot, so I decided to refurbish it when I pulled it apart to replace the bearings. Here is the tear down. It should be reassembled this weekend, good as new... no better than that cheap new stuff :)








The graduations on this piece are pretty much gone.
I'm guessing the Serial number means this is a 1953?

Brass?




The one small piece of original wiring is just a bit brittle!








Pulling off the old bearings and pulling off the old paint
ready for primer



Amazing what a swipe of acetone will do.

The was a bit of warp in the tables, but not for long :-)
All but the pedestal is painted no, so I'll probably throw it back together this weekend...